Thursday 25 January 2007

Chansons


Music! I am an oddball when it comes to my listening tastes (as evidenced by the protestations of my more contemporary-inclined wife). Am I the only one wondering why there's no bigger recognition for Dato' Shake or his exploits in the francophone world? Except for his official website, there is precious little out there. Also try clicking here (French), here (French) and here (Dutch).

An excerpt from his bio:

He bid goodbye to his family and headed to London where he studied vocal class for a year. Then he was offered to go to Paris France, within months, he had secured a label and his first single was released, entitle,"tu sais je t'aime" (You know I love you). Plus, he did indeed shake up the music scene and became the first Asian singer who sang in French. The single sprinted up the charts, followed by half a dozen other gold and platinum singles and albums. Concert appearances and television specials followed swiftly as Shake quickly became the toast of Europe. He became popular in all the countries where French is spoken - he was for instance, fifteen weeks at the top of the charts in Canada: he became enormously popular in North African countries and the cosmopolitan areas of Africa - such as the Ivory Coast and Senegal.

After watching Johnny Hallyday on a french version of Idol in a parisian hotel the other day, I felt he could have been up there too. Time for a revival perhaps, Dato'?

4 comments:

...$weE+ 666... said...

i always adore dato' shake. happen to be one of his twin son is my colleague's boyfren. menggigil tunggu nak jumpa dato' shake nak bergambar dgn dia. hehehe...

Zac said...

yeahh sis, kirim salam kat dia kalau jumpa nanti ok? how's the new job coming along?

Kak Teh said...

zas, thanks for the visit and your contribution! I think I missed dato shake and a whole lot more when I left in the seventies. i dont even know what songs he sang..sedih, kan?

Zac said...

Kak Teh, it was a real pleasure to read your blog. My sis Hanizah, was with NST too in the late nineties and early naughties(education). Now, if only I could get her to start writing a blog..